11 May ‘Must Try’ Fruit Trifle
I have made this fruit trifle many many times. What I like about his recipe is that it is loaded with fruit and the saturated fat level is low (1g per serving or 1/10 of a recipe). However, the sugar level is relatively high unless you substitute the pudding and angel food cake with a sugar free version of the same. My family has always liked more custard so often I make 1.5 times this part of the recipe or double it and use the remaining custard for a fruit dip for later in the week.Print
- 1 pkg 5.1oz instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 4 oz light cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
Cake and Fruit
- 1 9- inch angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh peeled kiwis
- Substitute any of the fruit with fresh raspberries or blackberries
In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and milk. Beat with an electric mixer at low speed for about 2 minutes or until well blended and thickened. Add cream cheese and yogurt; continue to beat until relatively smooth. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
In a trifle bowl, layer 1/3 cake, 1/3 custard and 1/3 fruit; repeat twice. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.