26 Jan French Onion Soup
FRENCH ONION SOUP
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 3 tbsp port wine (optional)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 ½- inch slices ciabatta baguette
- 4 oz shredded reduced fat Swiss cheese
- Chopped green onion for topping (optional)
In a stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook for about 45 minutes or until onions reach a golden brown color (i.e. caramelized), stirring frequently.
Add broth, port (optional), thyme and pepper; stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional analysis is from The Food Processor® Nutrition and Fitness Software by ESHA Research, Inc., version 11.3.285©, 2016. All nutrition information should be considered approximate. Note: Many soup ingredients continue to absorb broth after preparation. Add additional broth if soup becomes too thick.