11 Jun Minestrone Soup
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cut green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup baby spinach, packed
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (28oz) no salt added diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 can (15oz) no salt added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup dry pasta (penne, rotini or medium shell)
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
In a stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes or until onions turn slightly translucent. Add celery and carrots; sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
Add broth, green beans, spinach, zucchini, tomatoes, kidney beans and Italian seasoning; stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Add pasta and cook for an additional 9 to 12 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 8 Servings.
Nutritional analysis is from The Food Processor® Nutrition and Fitness Software by ESHA Research, Inc., version 11.1©, 2016. All nutrition information should be considered approximate.
Note: Many soup ingredients continue to absorb broth after preparation. Add additional broth if soup becomes too thick.